Sunday, March 18, 2007

Muslim conception of Jesus may surprise you

YOU THINK YOU KNOW

http://media. www.lsureveille. com/media/ storage/paper868 /news/2007/ 03/13/Opinion/

want to expand a little on what Muslims believe about
Jesus; it's one of the fundamental concepts in Islam.
First, to Muslims, he is one of the greatest of all
prophets in Islam. Had the scriptures he brought not
been changed and altered, we would still follow those
scriptures today. The same applies to the Torah.

"He (Jesus) said: Verily! I am a slave of Allah, He
has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet; And
He has made me blessed wheresoever I be, and has
enjoined on me Salat (prayer), and Zakat, as long as I
live. And dutiful to my mother, and made me not
arrogant, unblest. And Salam (peace) be upon me the
day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall
be raised alive!" Qur'an (19: 30-33)

Muslims believe Jesus, the son of the Virgin Mary, is
only a human being. He is a human being with a high
status, but like we revere the prophet Muhammad and
consider him a human being, the same applies to the
other prophets. Muslims do not give people higher
ranks than they deserve.

Muslims believe he came with the same message that all
the other prophets came with: to worship God alone and
to not prescribe anything to God in worship; i.e. a
son, daughter, intermediaries, etc.

Allah tells us in the Qur'an what Jesus said to his
people, which is also very similar to things found in
the Old Testament.

"(Jesus said): "And verily Allah is my Lord and your
Lord. So worship Him (Alone). That is the Straight
Path." (Qur'an 19:36)

No comments: